Monday, February 8, 2010

My 36.5 Week Amniocentesis, Ultrasound & NST Appointment


Baby Alex is playing shy today!

My appointment was at 2pm, I was called back at 2:15 or so, I had the most amazing ultrasound tech - she was so incredibly friendly and sweet. She first did the ultrasound scan to check for the baby's size and the amniotic fluid levels. Alex is estimated to currently weigh 6 pounds and 7 ounces!
After the ultrasound Dr. Mason came in to perform the amnio. For some reason I got myself all worked up that it was going to be some kind of traumatic experience - all for nothing. They put on their sterile gloves, put the wand in a glove, scrubbed my belly with an exfoliant and stuck the needle in. I didn't see the actual needle but it must have been big for as long as it felt like it took to pull it out! The insertion wasn't so bad - it was coming out that kinda hurt; no big deal at all though. They said I was a trooper - that some women even cry; good Lord! It was easy LOL!
I've been learning about amnios and asked the doctor if it was true that results only take an hour and he said that the pleminary ones do and even if that doesn't show mature that the ones that take a day to get the results of - sometimes show maturity even if the first set doesn't. I also asked if it was true that if it is cloudy it's mature and he said that is a good indication as he was holding it up to the light to see!
Afterwards we went over for the NST. At first I was kind of nervous because Alex wasn't moving nearly enough. Come to find out that the amnio needle was inserted through my placenta due to lack of good pockets of useable fluid. After being monitored for over 45 minutes he started to perk up a little on the strip so they said that I passed and was able to go.
As I was leaving I asked what the next step was - luckily my very friendly nurse was there and reassured me that she would call me by close of day with any news... so the wait began!!
We left really close to 4pm; knowing that they closed at 5pm I was convinced that I wouldn't get any news today and was pretty devastated. Around 4:50pm I put a call into the office only to find out that they results were not in yet; however I did find out that my favorite nurse was on shift until 6pm and would not leave until she had some results for me. She is SO kind!! At 5:10pm I got the call and the results are....... MATURE!!! They only needed a level of 55 and his was a 66!!! I was over the moon!! I asked what was next! She said that she would page Dr. Mason and figure out when he wanted me to come in, but first notified me that it would likely be tonight or tomorrow! I was again - over the moon! I was jumping up and down and Addy started to with me! It was SO cute!! While I waited for the return call I had just enough time to phone Aunt Debbie and Jennifer to share the good news. During that time the nurse tried to call me back but it went to my voicemail. Just as I hung up with Jennifer I noticed that the doctors office texted me with "PLEASE CALL" - so I called them back immediately! She said that Dr. Mason wanted to start my induction Thursday afternoon (02/11/10) and I would deliver at some point Friday (02/12/10). I was extremely bummed to find out that I wasn't going in immediately like I thought - but happy to know that the reason was because Dr. Mason wouldn't be making rounds regularly in the birthing center Tuesday and Wednesday but would be around on Thursday - Saturday to keep a strict eye on me during labor. He is going to start me Thursday early evening with the EASI balloon and start the Pitocin on Friday morning. They assume that I will deliver on Friday and I assume that if I don't that we will do a c-section Friday night or Saturday morning/afternoon.
So.... the wait is on!!!
I can't wait to meet you baby Alex!!!

post signature

0 comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails
 

The Elliott's Slice of Life Copyright © 2010 Designed by Ipietoon Blogger Template Sponsored by Emocutez