Friday, April 18, 2008

My Three Doctor Appointments Today

Current mood: optimistic

Because of my new babysitting job I had to pile all my doctor appointments into today's schedule.


I had an appointment first thing this morning for Addison to get her second flu shot. That was quick, easy and relatively pain-free. She is done with shots until her 9 month appointment June 3rd.
We came home, napped a bit and headed for our next two.
I had a dietician appointment for my gastric bypass process. That too was quick, easy and definitely pain-free. All I ever have to do is get weighed and talk to the dietician for less than five minutes about healthy choices and exercise.

Then onto my next appointment, which was pretty much next door to there. I was told by my surgeon that I would need a
filter placed in my vein prior to surgery to help prevent the possibility of blood clots. I went for the consultation several weeks ago and they would not insert one due to a rare blood disorder that I have. So today I followed up with a hematologist. I found out when I was going through fertility treatments a couple years back that I have a blood mutation called MTHFR. I found out today at my hematologist appointment that it is actually a compound heterozygous Methylenetetrahydrofolate reductase meaning that I got one copy of this blood disorder from my mother, and one copy from my father. When I was pregnant I was on daily injections of Innohep blood thinner and daily dose of extra folic acid pills and a prenatal; towards the end I was put on Heparin blood thinner. Now that I am no longer pregnant I still take extra folic acid, a prenatal and extra daily doses of B-6 and B-12. I was told that within 12 hours of surgery I will be put on Heparin again to reduce the risk of dangerous blood clots.

In all- I am now cleared for surgery in every aspect; all I have to do is start my
Chantix next Sunday the 27th and quit smoking on May 4th- so that I will be smoke free for a month prior to surgery. I am really hoping to be able to have surgery on my deceased mother’s birthday- June 4th!

WISH ME LUCK!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

kemicol Apr. 18, 2008 at 4:20 PM: Glad everything went well! Good Luck!

Anonymous said...

Mommy2aQT Apr. 19, 2008 at 8:01 AM: Good Luck!

Related Posts with Thumbnails
 

The Elliott's Slice of Life Copyright © 2010 Designed by Ipietoon Blogger Template Sponsored by Emocutez