I just got in from seeing ‘God’ LOL.
I went in for the appointment at 10:30- was x-rayed right away and waited no more than 10 minutes to see the my chiropractor. He explained to me that not only is my spine curved- it is twisted as well. This is making one of my legs longer than the other because of this my hips are shifted. The muscles in my back are constantly fighting one another from the contortion making them spasm! So every time I bend in a certain direction, cough, sneeze, twist or turn – my back muscles get ticked off and spasm. Because of all of this I am walking with a constant limp- unbeknownst to me. He presumes this has been going on many years and he is confident he will get me and keep me in tip top shape! I suppose that is where the “once you start going to a chiropractor you have to go for the rest of your life” part comes in. I had heard that time and time again; which is why I delayed seeing one for the first time until today. The pain was getting downright unbearable.
While he was talking to me I was lying on my belly on the table with a warm compress on my back and after he left a gentle lil massage therapist came in and gave me a soft tissue massage in that general area for about 10 minutes. After that he came in and started his thing! LOL. He took the table (the half beyond my waist) and bent it up and down several times until I reached my pain tolerance limit and yelped like a beaten puppy! He then did three more procedures – like the masseuse did, but with more force. I could definitely feel a difference in at least the constant pressure I had been feeling. He did this for over 20 minutes. Wow, how refreshing it was to not feel like he was rushing to get in another patient as quick as possible. He was very through in getting my history and such. I simply fell in love with this man whom I am now going to refer to as my “back God”. LOL
I sat up and he gave me and ice pack and went over the dos and don’ts. He told me to stop back in tomorrow and he’ll be “a lil more aggressive” with me—I likey!I thought I was in tip top shape; maybe I just succumbed to the thought that I would feel that great from then on… too bad it wasn’t true.
I made my way out to the car and it took EVERYTHING I had in me to get the Addison in her car seat into the car and then the stroller into the trunk. I stood with my door to the car open- just staring down at the seat- thinking I am NEVER going to be able to get in, let alone get out when I get home. After a couple phone calls for help and many, many tears – I finally bucked up and MADE myself fight the pain and get in the car. I then realized it was super hard to drive because with every movement shots of pain would torture my lower back. I ‘grinned and bear-ed’ that too, I had to. I finally got home and did so once again, this time I was pleased to see it was MUCH easier getting out of the car verses getting in… strange. I think I was just calmer and less emotional this ‘go-round’ though. I managed to get myself and Addy into the house with little pain. I just put Addy to bed and now I am relaxing with my binder around my waist. I am feeling pretty good despite such a terrible day so far.
The doctor did not prescribe medication of any kind. He told me if I had any anti-inflammatory meds at home to take some and if I had any pain medicine to feel free to take them at night to get some good sleep. But other than that he seems to think that I should be pretty much back to normal in under a week. Granted, it does sound like I will need to return to get adjustments regularly because of my conditions. He will be going over the x-rays and showing me the problem areas tomorrow. I am really looking forward to a new lease on ‘my back’ lol.Thanks for all your prayers and advice!
3 comments:
tjgirl May. 16, 2008 at 4:50 PM: thats awesome!! I'm glad you are getting things figured out
emmymom1014 May. 17, 2008 at 8:32 PM: I saw a chiropractor before I delivered Sophie because somehow my sciatic nerve kept getting pinched and it hurt like hell. I am not sure if it helped, but I did not go as often as I was supposed to because I never had a babysitter for Emmy. My delivery was pretty easy, though and I thought maybe they loosened the baby out by cracking all my bones apart... LMAO!!!!! (just kidding)
katyvan Jun. 10, 2008 at 3:46 PM: Hey there, I worked for 3 1/2 years at a chiropractic office of a well known chiropractor. If you have any questions, or are unsure of anything and are afraid to ask your doctor, please let me know if I can be any assistance. Chiropractic is a wonderful thing. I just can't believe he told you, you could take your meds if your pain was bad, usually they have this "all natural" approach to everything. But that is great that you have found someone that you like. Good luck.
Post a Comment