
I was sitting at the kitchen table making candies when I noticed that my vision was starting to get blurry. I glanced across the room to see if I could read the digital clock and I couldn't. The same thing happened to me yesterday so I was really starting to get concerned about what this could be.
As I started getting Addy up and dressed I thought maybe it was my blood pressure so I checked it. It was normal - 117/72. But I was still concerned so I called Doug to see what he thought it was. While I was on the phone with him I noticed that I had lost my peripheral (side) vision and I started freaking out! He just said that I should call Dr. Mason and see what they had to say. I called Aunt Debbie next and she didn't have a clue either; so I called my OB.
When I told the nurse my symptoms she told me that I needed to get to the ER ASAP... so I called Doug back and he came home and took me in.
When we got to the ER the waiting room was packed but it only took us about 20 minutes or so to get called back. In triage they freaked us out by saying "possible TIA or stroke" and whisked me away to a really frantic area. All of the doctors and nurses kept coming by and staring at my face saying "Bell's Palsy" this, "Bell's Palsy" that... I kept saying over and over, "YES! I have BP! That isn't what I am here for! I have had it for 7 years!" But... it didn't help; it went in one ear and out the other. Soon after they moved me out of that frenzied area and to my own cot in the ER area. All of this time Doug and Addy had to wait in the ER waiting room because the first area they took me to was patients only. It took about 1/2 hour for them to finally bring Doug and Addy back to me; they actually kind of snuck her in there - kids under 12 weren't supposed to be in that area either.
Addy was SUCH a good girl all day! I couldn't believe how quiet and well-behaved she was. Everyone kept commenting on how good she was and kept giving her snacks and stickers, cartoons kept her well-entertained.
The nurses came in and put in an IV line (which was never used otherwise) and took some blood; soon after another one came in and did an EKG. I was seen and questioned by about five doctors by this point. Eventually a neurologist student came in with a ton of questions and a battery of tests – within an hour her teacher came in and did most of them again along with another student. I couldn’t help but feel like a freak-show since everyone that questioned me couldn’t help but stare at my crooked face! It starts to get to you after a while, especially since most of the asymmetrical-ness has dissipated over the last several years. Just when you get to feeling normal, as normal as can be for having such an affliction, there is always someone to help make you feel like a freak-a-zoid once again.
Anyhow…
Doug had taken Addy home to take a nap. Meanwhile I was told that I needed to be admitted for a “23 hour observation”; so I was taken up to my new room after lying on a cot in the ER for about 4 hours… could have been worse.
After I got up to my room things started to slow down; I really didn’t see anyone except a couple nurses that walked me through procedures and took my vitals. I was STARVING! I hadn’t had a thing to eat all day and, believe me; I had asked people on several occasions. Not good for me, not good for baby!
Oh! How’s the baby you ask!? Hmmm… I would love to know too!
I phoned in a meal and tried to rest. A while later my meal came up and I devoured it! Shortly after a doctor came in to ask another ton of questions and yet again said that I was going to get an MRI. By this time I was so irritated, it was almost like it was a line of BS since I had been hearing that all day and still nothing! Well – that’s when I told her that I needed to get it done ASAP because I needed to be discharged today because I do not have child care and my husband cannot miss another day of work. She said that she would get it ordered STAT.
Doug showed up shortly thereafter with Addy – within half an hour I was taken down for the much-promised MRI. It took about 45 minutes and I was in pain the majority of the time. I was having right shoulder tenseness to the point I could hardly remain still enough for the procedure. Whewww! It’s finally over.
I was taken back to my room to wait some more. A while later the nurse came in to give me some more info and I informed her that I needed the results read ASAP. She told me that the doctor was in a c-section and that the other doctors would surely not read them tonight. I told her I needed to get discharged or I had to leave AMA. A while later she came in and reiterated that none of my doctors would authorize for me to go so I had to sign myself out and promise to call Dr. Mason in the morning for the MRI results…
How’s the baby!? Again – I would love to know as well. I asked every single doctor, nurse, student… – every single person that I had contact with – to at least doppler me so I could hear the heartbeat… NOT ONCE did anyone check on the baby!!!
As I started getting Addy up and dressed I thought maybe it was my blood pressure so I checked it. It was normal - 117/72. But I was still concerned so I called Doug to see what he thought it was. While I was on the phone with him I noticed that I had lost my peripheral (side) vision and I started freaking out! He just said that I should call Dr. Mason and see what they had to say. I called Aunt Debbie next and she didn't have a clue either; so I called my OB.
When I told the nurse my symptoms she told me that I needed to get to the ER ASAP... so I called Doug back and he came home and took me in.
When we got to the ER the waiting room was packed but it only took us about 20 minutes or so to get called back. In triage they freaked us out by saying "possible TIA or stroke" and whisked me away to a really frantic area. All of the doctors and nurses kept coming by and staring at my face saying "Bell's Palsy" this, "Bell's Palsy" that... I kept saying over and over, "YES! I have BP! That isn't what I am here for! I have had it for 7 years!" But... it didn't help; it went in one ear and out the other. Soon after they moved me out of that frenzied area and to my own cot in the ER area. All of this time Doug and Addy had to wait in the ER waiting room because the first area they took me to was patients only. It took about 1/2 hour for them to finally bring Doug and Addy back to me; they actually kind of snuck her in there - kids under 12 weren't supposed to be in that area either.
Addy was SUCH a good girl all day! I couldn't believe how quiet and well-behaved she was. Everyone kept commenting on how good she was and kept giving her snacks and stickers, cartoons kept her well-entertained.
The nurses came in and put in an IV line (which was never used otherwise) and took some blood; soon after another one came in and did an EKG. I was seen and questioned by about five doctors by this point. Eventually a neurologist student came in with a ton of questions and a battery of tests – within an hour her teacher came in and did most of them again along with another student. I couldn’t help but feel like a freak-show since everyone that questioned me couldn’t help but stare at my crooked face! It starts to get to you after a while, especially since most of the asymmetrical-ness has dissipated over the last several years. Just when you get to feeling normal, as normal as can be for having such an affliction, there is always someone to help make you feel like a freak-a-zoid once again.
Anyhow…
Doug had taken Addy home to take a nap. Meanwhile I was told that I needed to be admitted for a “23 hour observation”; so I was taken up to my new room after lying on a cot in the ER for about 4 hours… could have been worse.
After I got up to my room things started to slow down; I really didn’t see anyone except a couple nurses that walked me through procedures and took my vitals. I was STARVING! I hadn’t had a thing to eat all day and, believe me; I had asked people on several occasions. Not good for me, not good for baby!
Oh! How’s the baby you ask!? Hmmm… I would love to know too!
I phoned in a meal and tried to rest. A while later my meal came up and I devoured it! Shortly after a doctor came in to ask another ton of questions and yet again said that I was going to get an MRI. By this time I was so irritated, it was almost like it was a line of BS since I had been hearing that all day and still nothing! Well – that’s when I told her that I needed to get it done ASAP because I needed to be discharged today because I do not have child care and my husband cannot miss another day of work. She said that she would get it ordered STAT.
Doug showed up shortly thereafter with Addy – within half an hour I was taken down for the much-promised MRI. It took about 45 minutes and I was in pain the majority of the time. I was having right shoulder tenseness to the point I could hardly remain still enough for the procedure. Whewww! It’s finally over.
I was taken back to my room to wait some more. A while later the nurse came in to give me some more info and I informed her that I needed the results read ASAP. She told me that the doctor was in a c-section and that the other doctors would surely not read them tonight. I told her I needed to get discharged or I had to leave AMA. A while later she came in and reiterated that none of my doctors would authorize for me to go so I had to sign myself out and promise to call Dr. Mason in the morning for the MRI results…
How’s the baby!? Again – I would love to know as well. I asked every single doctor, nurse, student… – every single person that I had contact with – to at least doppler me so I could hear the heartbeat… NOT ONCE did anyone check on the baby!!!

0 comments:
Post a Comment